Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What's in it for rabbit breeders?

Seeing the many rabbits up for sale on the local buy/sell directory got me thinking about the rabbit breeders. I am curious as to what motivates rabbit breeders out there to keep breeding rabbits. It's not like they're making much money with rabbits selling for $20 or so in pet stores. I'd imagine there are probably so much work involved in breeding rabbits. And if they really love the rabbits, as many would tell you, how can they be selling them to strangers? From my experience in fostering Coconut, it was difficult to let her go even knowing she's going to a rescue approved family with their insane background check. So for the breeders to be selling so many babies to people like they do, I highly doubt any of them really love their rabbit at all. It's like telling people you love your kids even though you're selling them to a sweat-shop. Just wondering.

3 comments:

  1. I do know that there are a lot of breeders who do care about where there litters go, but unfortunately that is not the majority we rescuers and fosters come across. I have a couple of blog buds who breed rabbits, but they are responsible and very particular on who gets their rabbits.
    =:8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kimberly, I've also been pointed out that some breeders are really into the particular breed and are meticulous with what they do. But my impression is that they are the minority. I think I shouldn't stereotype breeders. The owners should be more accountable too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know some foster bunnies make nice pets, but my friend had three different psycho rescue bunnies, who couldn't be tamed. Then she bought me from a caring, reputable breeder. I'm happy, she's happy. But it is a good point that the great bulk of pet shop rabbits should never have been bred.

    ReplyDelete